Sunday 16 September 2012

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Introduction

European Cover (taken on my phone)
Sonic3cover.png
North American Cover


















Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Released: January 1994 (JAP)
February 1994 (Everywhere Else)
System: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive

Sonic 3 seems to be a lot of people's favourite 2D Sonic, and it's not hard to see why. Levels are bigger than ever, with many secrets and alternate routes that it rewards replayability. It also introduces a brand new character, Knuckles the Echidna, a future friend, but for now he's a villain so boo him. It also introduces new power-ups; the elemental shields. Each Act 1 has a mini-boss at the end, and it doesn't magically move to a new level for Act 2, you just continue where you left off. Special Stages are different again, and yes I'm still absolutely god awful at them. 

The game has less Zones than Sonic 2, but only if you're playing Sonic 3 by itself. Later in the year, SEGA released 'Sonic & Knuckles', which can be locked-on to Sonic 3 to give the complete Sonic 3 experience. This is what I'll be playing (I'll give S&K it's own intro when we get there).

My experience with the game is the same as it was for Sonic 2, played a little of it before and I've seen it all, but I'm far from an expert. "So this should go well." he said in a sarcastic tone.

I've already played the first two Acts, the report for which shall be put up tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment