Monday 21 May 2012

Puzzle Quest - The Finale

And so it ends. Well, kinda, I'm struggling to beat the final boss but by the time next week rolls on that'll be a different story. I'm bloody stubborn. So, what's left to say?

Well...


Puzzle Quest isn't a terrible game by any means, in fact it's pretty good, but it should not be the length of an actual RPG. You'll see at the bottom of the page just how long it took to complete the game, and I'm pretty sure I may have missed a quest or two (mostly ones that required backtracking across the map). For first time players hoping to find everything you're closing in on around 40 hours. Imagine playing Bejewelled for 40 hours, and you've pretty much got Puzzle Quest. The game does have depth and it really does work as an RPG, it's easy to see why the game got popular, but for me personally I would have liked it to have ended a bit sooner. The final boss is a bit of an RPG trope... the big hard boss that requires luck more than anything to beat (at least in my experience. Screw that guy).

About half-way through the game I had to mute the sound and music. Not because the soundtrack is horrible but because their just isn't enough songs to last a 40 hour game. It does get a bit grating to hear the same songs over and over again. And sure, you may think "but all RPGs have battle songs you hear all the time!" and yeah you'd be right, but they usually get broken up by lots of different songs as you progress through the game. From what I heard, there was only one "map" music and that was it.

So, would I recommend this game? Maybe, if you want something you can just pick up and play, no one is going to play this for the story which is ignorable. It's pretty cheap, £5.99 on Steam, and you'll definitely get your moneys worth. 

Next Time...

I think one of the reasons I wasn't a fan of the length of the game was because I had expected it to be shorter, hence why I started it as a side-game with Vice City Stories, and now Super Mario 64. From now on I'll need to have a better clue on how long a game is before classing it as a "secondary" game. Speaking of, the next "Secondary" game on the list is Mario Kart Wii. This will only be a three-parter; one on the gameplay, one on the steering wheel that came with it and the last overall review of it. That will start next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment